Paying social insurance can help you to qualify for social insurance payments, such as the State Pension (Contributory). If you are an employee Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) deductions are made from your earnings each week.

If you are no longer an employee or if you are self-employed and you are no longer making compulsory PRSI contributions, you can opt to make voluntary contributions. If you are getting a social welfare payment or signing for credits you may get credited contributions which will also keep your social insurance record up to date.