The NEST (New Emerging Street Talent) programme, a partnership initiative between Waterford Spraoi and ISACS was established to assist artists create and showcase new work and ideas. Since 2013 it has aided Irish artists with mentoring supports and premiered their work in a supportive environment at Spraoi Festival. Many of these new works were subsequently performed at European festivals. Remaining vibrant and relevant NEST regularly evolves altering the number of artists involved, selection of guest mentors and artistic focus of the work being supported. With support of The Arts Council an expanded version of NEST is planned in 2021. It will extend the residency at Spraoi Studios and afford participating street theatre performers scope to practically test and interrogate their presentation ideas. NEST outcomes will be shared with live audiences as part of this summer’s Spraoi Season programme.
NEST 2021 Shout-Out
NEST 2021 will best suit an artist, perhaps duo or trio of artists, with a strong idea for a new or adapted work. It will already be pre-developed and will require focused rehearsal/mentoring so it becomes a viable audience attraction at a range of outdoor festivals and events. The performance concept is likely to involve elements such as character influenced physical performance with potential for audience connectivity.
If you recognise yourself in this narrative submit a proposal. Include a description of your concept, an introduction to your or colleagues’ CV’s and a clear statement of assistance you require to transform the idea into a bookable sustainable street show.
The 2021 NEST support package will be a bespoke response tailored to selected artist(s). NEST 2021 mentorship and incubation elements can include:
- Access to a panel of experienced professional mentors from different fields.
- Two to three weeks residency at Spraoi Studios.
- Technical support and professional skills with prop-design-build
- Accommodation and Travel.
- Fees of €1,700 per artist.
- Showcasing work to Irish audiences and perhaps to other festival directors.
Some flexibility exists to tailor above N.E.S.T. supports into a bespoke package for selected artists.
- Monday, 5 July to Friday, 9 July 9 – Mentoring at Spraoi Studios
- Monday, 12 July to Friday, 16 July – Mentoring at Spraoi Studios
- Monday, 2 August to Sunday, 8 August – Rehearsals at Spraoi Studios and Performances at City Spraoi from Thursday 5 August.
How to apply
Applications or Queries to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 4 June, 12 noon.