Flow Arts Ireland presents
A rare opportunity to learn from renowned contact staff dancer and flow artist Aileen Lawlor as she joins forces with Rónan McLoughlin to host a weekend Flow Arts Retreat in Ireland this November. Join us for a weekend of training in staff and poi technique alongside movement, flow and mind/body explorations and optimisations in the beautiful West Cork countryside.
- Fully catered, a beautiful training space, world class teachers.
- November Thursday 18th – Sunday 21st 2021, in An Sanctóir, Ballydehob, West Cork, Ireland
Join us on retreat in the stunning south west of Ireland where we will marinate ourselves in Flow Arts training this November!
This retreat will focus on staff and poi but all props are welcome! Much of our training will explore the underlying principles of movement and manipulation that can be applied to all Flow Arts props.
All levels are welcome! Whether you are an enthusiastic beginner or a seasoned flow veteran you will level up your skills.
The retreat will encourage a technology/screen/phone free experience. Take a break from your devices and feel the space it creates.
Set in the beautiful location of An Sanctóir just outside Ballydehob in West Cork.
- Arrange your own accommodation €225
- Camping/campervan/hall: €250
- Dorms: €295
- Single: €350
- Double: €330 (per person)
- A large octagonal hall with wooden dance floors and big windows for natural light in the day and reflecting as mirrors by night.
- The beautiful natural environment of the wild West Cork landscape.
- Possibilities for camping, dorm beds or private rooms.
- Fully catered so you can fully immerse in training, refuel and dive back in.
- Daytime will be balanced between workshops and personalised instruction along with free play, training and sharing time.
- Nightime we will have the possibility to continue training in the hall and participate or spectate at fire/glow jams and performances.
- Participants are encouraged to arrive Thursday afternoon/evening to settle in, warm up, enjoy the space, eat dinner together and be ready for the first full day of practice on Friday morning.
- Friday and Saturday will be full days of training, playing and eating together while enjoying the beautiful West Cork countryside.
- Sunday will be a lighter more chilled day of practice, play and sharing before the retreat finishes Sunday evening. (It is possible to stay Sunday night also).
How to book
For more info and booking please contact email@example.com
Who is Aileen?
Aileen studied theatre in NYC, developing a curiosity & catharsis in artistic expression. In 2004 she found her movement meditation through Flow Arts in the California Bay Area, delving into the practice of poi, contact staff, & levi-wand. Her exploration with object manipulation encouraged her studies of dance. Blending this into her performance, she has established herself in the international Flow Arts community as an emotive dancer & efficient instructor, displaying technical proficiency and a unique style. For 16 years she has appeared in instructional material & traveled the world teaching, performing, and sharing expression of self through flow.
Who’s that Rónan fella?
Rónan is a world renowned fire and object manipulation artist from Ireland. Best known for his innovative style of poi spinning and as the innovator of contact poi, Rónan has been teaching and performing around the world for close to 20 years.Taking inspiration from other juggling and object manipulation arts, as well as movement and mind/body awareness disciplines such as Taichi and meditation alongside illusion-based dance, he has developed his own unique style of movement and performance.